How to Use Face Wash
Washing your face might seem like the ultimate no-brainer. But, newsflash: It’s not.
Sticking to the right face wash and following the proper steps makes all the difference when it comes to your overall skin condition and complexion.
Think about it - washing your face is likely the first thing you do for your skin each day. So, if you’re getting it wrong or using a product that doesn’t work for you, you’re setting a shaky foundation for the rest of the day.
Want to achieve smoother, more even skin? Great - but believe it or not, there’s a right and wrong way to wash your face.
Yes - knowing how to properly clean your face matters.
Here are the steps that you should follow if you’re looking to get it right and see real results.
1. Choose the Right Face Wash for Your Skin
First, it’s important that you choose the best face wash for your skin type and concerns. There’s no one-size-fits-all solution, but here are some basic guidelines to keep in mind.
If You Have Dry or Sensitive Skin
If your skin is dry or sensitive, you need a face wash that will cleanse away impurities without irritating or stripping the skin of its natural oil barrier. This calls for our Purifying Charcoal Face Wash with these easy-on-skin ingredients:
- Activated charcoal - which acts like a magnet, binding to impurities and washing them away.
- Jojoba oil, olive oil, and aloe vera - which nourish and moisturize the skin for a healthy, balanced complexion.
- Antioxidant rich ingredients like vitamin E and green tea extract - which protect against environmental aggressors like UV rays and destroy free radicals.
If You Have Acne
If you have acne, you’ve probably experienced the harsh, skin stripping washes found at the grocery store or pharmacy. The problem? These face washes actually remove your natural oils and make acne worse over time.
That’s why it’s important that you use an acne cleanser, like our Acne Controlling Face Wash, with a combination of gentle, balancing ingredients.
- Chemical exfoliants: In the right concentrations they gently dissolve the bonds that hold dead skin cells to your face, breaking down bacteria and unclogging pores.
- Anti-inflammatory ingredients: Tea tree oil, calendula, and rosehip oil help calm redness and skin irritation, leading to more balanced and even-looking skin.
- Antimicrobial ingredients: Grapefruit, witch hazel, and rosemary kill bacteria on the spot, helping to stop acne breakouts from going wild.
- Moisturizers: Aloe vera and olive oil repair your skin’s barrier and prevent tight, dry skin.
- Antioxidants: Vitamin C stops free radicals and environmental aggressors in their tracks, soothes the skin, and prevents premature signs of aging.
If You Have Normal or Oily Skin
To wash normal or oily skin effectively, go with our Clarifying Gel Face Wash. It effectively cleanses skin without over-drying it. It’s packed with these natural ingredients:
- Coconut-based cleansers - which both cleanse and moisturize the skin without over-drying it.
- Aloe vera - which nourishes, protects, and moisturizes the skin.
- Peppermint oil - which kills bacteria and soothes troubled skin.
- Geranium - a powerful antiseptic that removes pore-clogging oil and buildup.
2. Make Sure Your Hands Are Clean
This one should be common sense, but many guys think, “Well, if it washes my face, it’ll clean my hands, too.”
The reality is that if you wash your face with dirty hands, you rub that dirt into your face. So give your hands a quick wash to avoid this and any unintended consequences.
You might think "soap is soap, whatever..." but it's not true. We created our natural Hand Soap to provide a rich lather without stripping away moisture. That leaves your hands more than just clean - they're also moisturized, soft, and smell fantastic thanks to our refreshing essential oil blend.
3. Use Warm (Not Hot) Water
Water temperature can make a significant difference in your skincare routine. Cold water, on one hand, shocks the skin and makes pores appear to shrink up. While this may help wake you up or increase circulation, it’s not what you want if you’re hoping to cleanse your pores or let active ingredients sink in and make a difference.
Scalding hot water, on the other hand, strips away your skin’s natural oils, ultimately irritating and damaging your skin over time. Burning your skin is not how to properly clean your face.
That’s why it’s important to splash your face with warm water before you apply your face wash. This will aid in cleansing your pores, helping your face wash lather and do its job.
4. Spread Face Wash Evenly (and Take Your Time)
Apply your cleanser evenly to all areas of your face – including high on your forehead and under your chin – using gentle, circular motions. Take your time, here. No need to rush.
If you cleanse for at least one minute, it’ll give all the active ingredients in your cleanser time to really do their job. And really, do you not have even one minute to spare for your skin?
5. Rinse and Dry Completely
Leaving soap on your face may lead to dryness or irritation, so it’s important to rinse it off completely. Then, dry your skin gently with patting motions – not rubbing or pulling. It should be a gentle, refreshing experience - not an intense scrubbing session. Remember, you're not done properly cleaning your face until you've thoroughly rinsed and dried everything.
6. Apply the Rest of Your Skincare Regimen
Once you’ve washed your face, now you can move on to the next steps in your skincare routine. That may include exfoliating with a scrub, applying serum, using an antioxidant booster, dabbing on some eye cream, or rubbing in moisturizer with the confidence that you won’t be sealing in any dirt or bacteria.
Following up with the right active ingredients will help you stop acne, fight fine lines, and keep your skin looking its very best.